There isn’t a ton on the internet about fourth wave feminism, so I wanted to throw my idea about this subject out there. I think this is especially important right now in our political context.
I wanted to write a little bit about this because I’ve encountered some third-wavers who believe it is sexist for a woman to not vote for Hillary Clinton. They believe that electing the first female to the white house will help conquer goals within their doctrine of third wave feminism
Under my belief, definition, and values of fourth-wave feminism, voting for a woman just because she is a woman is sexist.
Side Note: While searching the internet, I found more anti-women content in regards to fourth wave feminism. I forgot that there are people out there who are truly sexist to the core, which is so crazy to me.
Here’s my values as an American fourth-wave socialist feminist:
- All genders and sexualities are equal
- The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave feminists paved the path I walk on today.
- Whoever is better fit for a job should get the job.
- If there is a fitness test to be in first line of combat, and a woman fails it, then she shouldn’t be granted special opportunity to be in the first line. This only brings down the whole team.
- If there is a man and woman who interview in front of a board of all men for an executive position, and the woman has a better work history and is the better candidate, than the woman should get the job.
- Women need to support women
- Men need to support women
- Men and women have equal parenting rights. Men need to be just as responsible for their children as women.
- A transparent patriarchy still exists which influences everything- our entire system of government, social norms, values, and all aspects of daily life.
- This patriarchy is constantly changing and is symbiotic in nature to women’s advancement
- There should not be an assumption that women want a family, to be mothers, or any other institutionalized gender roles
- Women need to learn to validate themselves based on their minds, not their appearance. This underlining assumption of visual judgement needs to be destroyed so that it is not carried into future generations.
- Men need to validate women based on their minds, not their physical appearance.
- True progress will begin when women are not silently objectified by men and women
- The goal of feminism if to have an equal playing field for men and women. Once we get to this point, feminism will no longer exist because there will no longer a need.
- Feminist efforts cannot progress unless classism, racism, and all social conflicts are included in the efforts.
Ok. Short and sweet. Just thought I’d throw this up here since I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately.